Monday, March 21, 2016

Herbal Jelly

 The weather is so hot these days. Besides boiling crysanthemun drink which I can never do it correctly, I also tried making herbal jelly for the first time.

This packet of herbal jelly was given by a friend who got it from Nibong Tebal. Haven't checked if I can get it from the Chinese Medicine Shop here. At first I thought it would be bitter like 'Gui Ling Ko' but its not. It is slightly bitter and surprisingly my children did not protest when I asked them to try. They don't really like jelly in the first place and their willingness to take a few mouthful were encouraging. Anyway, this packet of herbal jelly has been sitting in my cupboard for several months now.  And I think I'm hooked on it.

Although the instructions are in Mandarin and I have to ask No2 to translate and still wasn't sure of the correct way, it still turn out fine. Basically, it is so easy. Pour the jelly powder to a saucepan. Put in water slowly and try to dilute it. Then heat up the mixture and stir slowly for about 5 minutes. Pour into the container, make syrup and eat it after it is cool/refrigerated.



10 comments:

  1. So nice of your friend to give this to you. Did you feel its cooling effect immediately or it took some time to feel it? Good that your sons can accept the taste of this jelly too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure I feel cooling effect. It's just like eating cool jelly but nice.

      Delete
  2. Got to make own syrup? Feel lazy already haha.

    It does say 'guai ling koh' on the packet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, make own syrup. I just take a block of 'rock honey' and disolved in hot water, very fast only. Ooo...so it is gui ling ko! Actually, when I put lesser water than the recommended , it's more bitter.

      Delete
    2. Actually no need to make syrup also can. Just drizzle wil some honey. Soothing to the throat too

      Delete
    3. Actually no need to make syrup also can. Just drizzle wil some honey. Soothing to the throat too

      Delete
    4. Tried the honey, I think I prefer the syrup.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm.....long time didnt make this. Nice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm.....long time didnt make this. Nice

    ReplyDelete