Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Gua Tempurung , Kellie's Castle and Ipoh

Another last minute decision on visiting Gua Tempurung in Gopeng.

I have been to Mulu Caves in Sarawak and found it rather nice although can't remember much but I know I enjoyed the trip there.

Since my kids have never been to a cave, I thought they would be fascinated with Gua Tempurung. If you are a first timer to a cave, you would be quite fascinated about the cave. In my case since I have seen something better, it wasn't so awesome..still I enjoy the trip.


Entrance to Gua Tempurung



We took the Level 2 tour - Top Of The World which brings us to the Top Of The cave. Initially I only wanted to do Tour 1 because after the Langkawi Skybridge experience I was worried I have no stamina to do this. However there were no tour guides ( which I learnt only for Tour 3 & 4 which is a wet tour) , so we took our time. Unfortunately there were no information in the cave itself to tell us what we are seeing. We were supposed to see all types of Cavern - Giant, Tin Mine, Universe, FallenWarrior,  Battlefield etc etc. We weren't able to identify those stuffs so we just enjoyed the weird looking formation of stalactite and stalagmites in the cave.   All in all we have suppositely climb 640 steps.

Our camera was not powerful enough to capture the interior of the cave ..so this is the best we can do.  Some samples

 

Oops...I actually am not sure if I got the pictures in the correct position. The water in the cave is so cool, clear and refreshing. If you ever do visit this place, do bring a pair of disposable gloves because the hand railing is wet and smelly. Won't be posting too many pictures so you can all go there and see for yourselves. Don't want to be spoiler ok?


Next we went to Kellie's Castle.
This is supposed to be a 'haunted balcony'.

Again, going here for the sake of my kids since they have not seen a real castle. I have seen many in Scotland, so this is pale in comparison to the real thing.

The next day, we went to Ipoh. As usual, we booked a budget room at the last minute. Again, the room exceeds our expectation. The Shamrock Guest House II is new, clean, lots of hooks for you to hang your clothing besides a nice queen bed, and a single bed and a solid bunk bed. We paid RM233 and the other day I checked , the price is RM299 for the same room. Besides, the location is near all the makan places.

In Ipoh, besides making sure we go to all the makan places that was recommended i.e Lou Wong chicken rice with their fatty taugeh (eh, why they don't serve soup wan hah?),  Funny mountain soya bean and michael jackson, Kong Heng ( chee cheong fun, satay, asam laksa closed that day !!) . Wanted to go Dai Shu Geok but it was closed that day. And of course everyone showing this (octopus below) in their blog, how can I not go.....
The octopus is nice and I love it but because everyone praise sky high on this dish, so my expectation was very high...thought it would taste heavenly but fall short lor.

Visited the 'Hor Yan Ho' museum. I don't normally 'appreciate' museums but this was not bad. Saw a very dedicated mom who took her broods there and each of them have an exercise book which they used to copy down name of herbs etc etc.
The kuali that they used in the olden days to fry the tea leaves.

We also visited the Trick Art Museum which I think was a waste of money for us because my boys were so shy to pose for photos, moi included. I used to see people posting very interesting pictures from Trick Art Museum , so I thought it would be fun but for not so sporting family like us...go one time enough already!
My boys wouldn't want me to show their faces so I put mine lor!

We also wanted to visit the 'Qin Xin Ling Leisure and Cultural Village' , unfortuntely it was closed till further notice. Maybe they are renovating.

That sums up our 2 days in Ipoh.


6 comments:

  1. nice to see there's still a standing castle. i believe what you said is "haunted" because the building is so ancient already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ancient = haunted? haha...but I heard about it being haunted a long time ago from some friends.

      Delete
  2. You poses so sportingly in the last photo. well done! Looking at your Gua Tempurung photos, now I feel like going there for a visit. Thanks for sharing. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...very unnatural actually. Yes, go visit Gua Tempurung and if possible take the wet tour, it will be a lot more fun.

      Delete
  3. The witch photo nice what...

    I was planning to visit Qin Xin Long also. Apparently closed until further notice as too many complaints from nearby residents, coz it was opened in a a housing area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I see. Not too surprised as there is only one way to the entrance of the Cultural Village. If I am a resident there , wouldn't be too happy with all the traffic right at my doorstep either.

      Delete