Thursday, February 25, 2016

Of Friendships and Going Back to Workforce.

Since last year, I met 2 of my ex-bosses whom I have not met for a decade or more. Suddenly, I miss going back to workforce. Coincidentally, my ex-colleague was giving this proposal to join her company ( not hers, the one she works for now) and that she has good connection . So tempting.

So I seached high and low for my cv. I remembered I had only one because when I first started working , it was an intership for my course. After 6 months of Industrial Training, I continued my final year in UK. Before I graduated, my former boss wrote to me to ask me to go back to work once I'm done with my course. So I went back , with her letter of recommendation. There was never an interview. So easy peasy!

After a good 7 years of working, our department was bought over by another company in which I stayed for a year and then went over to another one for another year and had to quit after the birth of my 2nd child. All these while, it was the whole gang of us moving together, no interviews..almost like being sold. But who cares, pay is good.

I really enjoyed my working years. My bosses all treated me well and my colleagues are just a helpful lot.

So recently some of us met, because my former boss ( I had many ok...cause I started as a trainee...mah) invited us for his daughter's wedding and many of us met for the first time after a years of being apart.

It is amazing that when we met again, the 'separated years' just melted away and we can just pick up from where we left.

Today, I received a whatsapp from my very 1st boss who are organising a get-together for all the 'ex-colleagues' , and looking at the familiar names brought so much great memories. Sometimes, we move on in life but when we crossed paths again, we realised we do treasure those friendships much more than we actually realised.

OK, coming back to joining the rat race.....I couldn't find my cv. I tried recreating one but failed because I just cannot remember all the projects that I've done. I have several certificates to give a vague idea but those are just not enough cos I did a lot in those 7-9 years.

Oh ya, remember I had no cv and the only reason why I had one, is because my latter company wanted to sub-con me to my former company for projects. I still remember the Mat Salleh interviewer looked at my cv and said " Extremely impressive" . So sad....I don't even have a copy of it for rememberance.

Sigh...maybe I just concentrate on my Izumio and Super Lutein business for now and looking forward to the big gathering of ex-colleagues.

If you ask me now, given the chance to turn back the clock , would I give up my job again? My answer is 'No'. Oh yes, I enjoyed my kids' kindy years the most. I remembered being so contented at that time...but reality hits...you need money, and they devalue as the years go by,  ok? I'll probably look for a good daycare and stop being so paranoid and 'obssessed over my kids'. ha! ha! Or perhaps I don't even want to have kids!!!!!



8 comments:

  1. It would be better if you could stick to your own business that can give you a consistent income rather than going back to the "rat' race. Life would be different for full time job meaning you will have to sacrifice the valuable time you spend with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids are in school till 3-4 pm. Of course working at my own pace is the best but I ask for 'no stress, fixed time, no OT and 5K'...ok right? ha!ha! No longer ambitioulah.

      Delete
  2. Does this mean you are regretting your previous decision? Rewrite your cv with whatever you can remember and send it to your friend. You may get another chance to join the rat race. Do give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, no point looking back. But probably wasn't the best decision. I tried so hard but 13 years already, how to remember wor!!!

      Delete
    2. Just think of all the skills you can offer now and write them in your cv. I left the workforce for about ten years and am able to rejoin at a much lower salary than my ex colleagues. No harm trying.

      Delete
  3. Many friends are either joining or using izumio and super lutien. A bit pricey but it works wonders according to them. But guess you already know that , right☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad heavy user. I like the two products, very easy to take lor. Pricey? definitely else I'll just be a happy consumer and won't bother sharing. Sometimes I have difficulty reconciling the thoughts of 'why we need such expensive products to live healthily'!But the fact remains, the products really does help in many diseases/sickness and it is natural.

      Delete
  4. There will be challenges and fun either way. You decide what you would really want to do, then go for it. There might be some initial setbacks but well, no harm trying.

    I did think about stopping work for the kids but never got round to doing anything about it!

    ReplyDelete