Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The New Generation

A friend of mine wrote this

"Kids need parents and parents are always there for them. When parents need their children it is never always so."

This statement draws some interesting discussion.  I realised the current generation ( my generation), the sons can still be depended upon. Many of our husbands are filial to their aged parents. They put up with the whims and fancy and even ridiculous demands and going 'old folks home' is a no-no.

But my generation, as parents ( as expressed by my friends too)  ourselves feels we must try in as much as possible to be independent and not trouble our kids by keeping ourselves healthy and financially sound. We must not have the mentality that we gave birth to our kids and they must take care of us in old age. This doesn't mean children should abandoned their parents but more as a parent, we need to have this mindset that :" Our kids did not asked to be born. Our love to them must be unconditional, bring them up the best we can with no expectations. And many times, if we do it right, they will in turn choose to take care of us".

Back to the statement above, it is really a sad reality of today because most children are struggling with their own families...putting food on table and dealing with the high cost of raising kids nowadays.

One commentator said this " Having children is an unconditional responsibility. Raised them with no expectations in return. Otherwise dont have them in the first place"

I do agree with this statement from a parent point of view. Having said that , it doesn't mean I ( as a child) washed my hands off taking care of my parents, I will because of the 'gratitude' and 'love' that they poured to me and my sibblings. It's a natural reaction.

Times has changed. Many of the kids today work overseas...how to take care of their parents. Some aged old parents needs so much care...and children has to work. If they are financially sound, can employ a helper or send to nursing home but those that struggling themselves...how to cope.

I also see how children pushed the responsibility of taking care of their parents from one to another. A very sad situation.  As parents, if we are old , we should try not to make ourselves difficult to take care , unlovable and useless unless no choice if health is really bad.

As one of my friend said, "luckily I have only one son, lest I get pushed from one son to another!". 

When my children grows up, they will have their lives. I can only hope that they will have a successful and happy life of their own. Don't trouble me okay..... me and my hubby we will grow old gracefully together. We won't stay with our children , nearby will be good.

As for CNY, it is okay some years, if the daughter in  law wants to go back to her own mom instead of going to the hubby's family....likewise the sons too. Strange...that's how some of us feel.

For the younger generation, make sure you know why you want to have kids in the first place.



7 comments:

  1. Taking care of kids has its rewards. While taking care of old people has much less especially when the old person is ill, senile, immobile etc. I guess best is to ensure you have the financial resources to take care of yourself. Then there will options like financing your own caregiver. If the burden is less on the children, higher chance they can do the filial thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Stacy, everything that you mentioned above. And count yourself fortunate cos you have 2 girls and they are more likely to be depended on ( if needed) compared to boys.

      Delete
  2. You are very modern with your thinking, good for you. I like the statement that "Our kids did not asked to be born" and for the record I would like to state that I do not have any children so I have to ensure that I have the means to survive when I am old or plan to die early. About being pushed from one child to another, sometimes it is not about being pushed but all the children have to take turns to take care of the parents so the logical thing is for the parents to stay with each child for a certain period of them before moving on to the next. And another thing is nowadays due to work, parents are leaving their children to daycare so when the parents are old, the children should also be able to leave the parents to "elderly daycare". It is good that for CNY reunion dinner that the wife can go back and eat with her own parents every alternate year. Your last sentence is good advice for the younger generation. I know many young couples who have chosen to be child free by choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rightfully, all siblings should take turns to take care. But more often than not, they take for granted that the eldest son holds the sole responsibility. The others will keep very quiet......

      Thanks for your view. Nice to know how others think. Raising kids in this troubled world is not easy and parents would always be plagued with a host of worries. So enjoy whatever state that you are in child or no child, we can still live a meaningful and fulfilled lives.

      Delete
    2. But I know of many families that the one taking care of the elderly parents is not the eldest son but the kindest child that the other children take advantage of.

      Delete
    3. Bless them! Many times the more affluent ones cannot do it and the less affluent does it!

      Delete
    4. True because the affluent ones are busy making money and safeguarding their wealth but they should at least contribute their wealth if they cannot contribute their time.

      Delete